Another week down here at the MTC. It's crazy to think I've been gone 4 weeks already!
I am almost 1/24 of the way done with my mission and I'm still in Provo!
Well, I am still having a great time! Elder Drasso and I are getting along---we're learning alot about Russian and the gospel. It really is a wonderful place! This week, the group of elders older than us are shipping out for the mother land. as such we were in need of new zone leaders/district leaders.
We had been told that the Zone Leaders would be chosen from the District Leaders who were already called. Most of us knew with out a doubt that Elder Smith would be called for the next group of Zone Leaders. Sunday morning, he and his companion were called out of our class and went to talk to the Branch President, President Callister (who is a stud by the way). They both came in and sat back down.
Next, one of my roomates was called out--Elder Capps, which made sense. Elder Smith and Wright would be Zone Leaders and Elder Capps the new District Leader. next he called out my companion-Elder Drasso went out and came back in. I thought to myself he must just be doing the weekly interviews. Sure enough, I was next.
Our conversation went like this...
"Elder Eborn, how are you?"
"Good President, you?""
"I am fine, how is the language?"
"Ha, It;s Russian, you know how it goes."
" Yes, yes, it continues to kick my butt... anyway I am going to get right to the point, I want you to serve as Zone Leader, along with your companion. Would you please go get him again?"
I don't think I could have looked any more shocked than I did. I figured I would be a District Leader or Zone Leader later on in the field some time but never in my wildest dreams did I think it would be here in the MTC. We have about 25 Elders in our Zone 9 of which leave for Russia soon. Another 15 coming in the 15th of Feburary.
It's quite the calling on top of everything else we have to do, now were in charge of 25 other young men who are almost all older than me, several who already have college degrees, and some who don't even speak English! Oh well, bring it on!I am always up for a challenge!
This last week we've been teaching the second lesson, The Plan of Salvation. while I've been studying this I've come to realise how perfect this plan really is. Our Father in Heaven really must love us to have put such a plan in place for us to return to live with him. From the earth we live on, to the family we were born into, evidence of his love is all around us. All we need to do is look. I am SO greatful that we have the opportunity to live with our families in the eternities! It makes you think maybe 3 months in Provo isn't so bad when you think of it with an eternal perspective. Not saying I would ever go to school here--ha but the MTC isn't so bad.
Along with our lessons in English we also teach as much as we can in Russian. Not going to lie it is so fun (minus the whole not knowing what you're saying and accidentily cursing in russian). I'm begining to love this language. I don't know how to say much, but what I do know is the truth and that's all that matters.
I know that God is our Father, and our Creator. He has given us this earth, as a place to learn and grow to become like him if we choose to do so. I know that he has provided us a Savior to redeem us of our sins and to help us overcome death and his name is Jesus Christ. The gospel of Jesus Christ was restored to the earth through the prophet Joseph, starting with a miraculous visit in Palmyra New York. we do have a prophet that leads and guides us today with devine revelation from our creator. I know this things to be true. and best of all I can say it all in Russian!
I love you all and hope you'll keep me in your prayers and you will be in mine!!
I love wearing this badge!!
Love, Elder Eborn
3 comments:
What a wonderful letter. JT is doing the Lord's will and that gladly. He is being blessed during this preparation time and his humility and ability have already begun to put him in a position where he can bless the lives of others, the missionaries in his zone, and through them the lives of all they will influence throughout the remainder of their lives. You will be blessed as a family for his experiences and your prayers for him and the rest of the missionaries.
Love you all and always,
Grandpa Bart
JT is sooooo great!!!!! He will go so far and do so much good.
Love him
- Alison
It sounds like he is doing great! We were thrilled to get a letter from him today.
Post a Comment