Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Pray Like Everything Depends on God

Another week down here at the MTC and I'm still going strong!

This week has been full of hard work, long hours, and much learning. We've been working on how to conjugate verbs, and putting words into the correct case. This language is so crazy! Some days I feel like I just want to pull all my hair out and run into a wall. But it's a good feeling, when I have day's like that I realise that it means I've been working hard.

It's not like this will just come one day... I'll have to work my butt off to get the gift of tongues. We heard a quote in a devotional the other day that said, " pray like everything depends on God.... then work like everything depends on you." I feel that that was directed straight to me.

I read through D&C 46 with my companion, and it really hit me on the gifts of the spirit. Then last night we were kind of thrown in the fire, we had to teach the first lesson to the russian Elders and Sisters who are here, in Russian. I was so terrified. I didn't know what to say thats for sure. But it was crazy! After a prayer I was really conversing with them. I didn't say much but I got my message across. The gift of tongues is real, and I just feel like I need to keep at it and it will eventually come.

Our district as a whole, was super grumpy the other day as well. The elders who reported the same day as us who AREN'T going to Russia are getting shipped out to the field and we were a little bitter towards them.

Our teacher, Brother Fisher brought us back down to earth and made us feel a little better about being stuck in the MTC for an 8th of our mission.

Novosibirsk is the largest mission geographically, as of June this year there were 26 missionaries there.
But, is still the most fruitfull mission in Russia and Eastern Europe. He told us that we are going to be one of the few missionaries who are there; most of us will be called to be branch presidents, district, and zone leaders with in the first few transfers.

In addition, we will be more than likely be a trainer soon after arrival. Suddenly, all the training in the world didn't seem like enough. I am still looking forward to that 36 hour plane ride to the middle of Siberia. I will try to enjoy my experience here at the MTC.  Being p-day, I have some opportunities I don't get the rest of the week. One of which is the temple. Elder Drasso and I left early to the temple this morning in hopes of getting the cafeteria food from the temple before our session.

As we walked up to the temple we saw an older man struggling to make it up to the door. As we got closer we saw him reach for one of the pillars and then fall on his face clutching his chest--- it scared the crap out of me! I threw my backpack at Elder Drasso and ran to the man telling my companion to get help. We helped the man into the temple and made sure he was ok before we went into our session. The ambulance came to check on him just to be safe but I think he was ok.

The second part of my day that was exciting was the fact that I got haircut. Maybe it wasn't that big of deal but I sure enjoyed it.  I was getting sick of looking like I stuck my finger in a light socket every morning when I woke up.

I will send pictures of it when I can. I guess the only way to get pictures home is to send my memory card so I will do that when I have taken more pictures. 

Thanks to all who have written me! It really is so good to hear from people. Letters in any form, are worth more than gold here! I hope all is well at home. I miss you all like crazy. I miss playing halo with my brother, coming home to Maddie and Ashlyn doing something just completely crazy, even listening to Megan argue ;) Going on runs with my dad and just laying on the bed at night with mom. Oh well, I'm glad to be where I am and theres no where else I'd rather be!

Please let me know how things are going. I LOVE YOU ALL!!!

If anyone wants to send food it would be greatly appreciated ;)
I love wearing this badge!

Love always,
ELDER EBORN

3 comments:

meegz said...

Awe --- I am a proud aunt -- can't IMAGINE how proud you parents are..as you should be!!!:)

Rene Weston-Eborn said...

Very proud. We miss him terribly...so we do enjoy his letters.

I think, the "laying on the bed" came from Grandpa Duke, it's always a thing we did on my side of the family.

We all usually gather in the AM/PM on mom/dads bed for a visit before we start/end the day.....

Tiff said...

I work with Terri, another very proud aunt. She shared the blog address with me and I love it. Although I don't know Elder Eborn, his letters are very uplifting and inspirational. This last year we had the missionaries in giving us lessons and I can tell from his letters that he is going to be great!! I look forward to reading more about his experiences!

How Many Check-in on JT

Listen to Mission Playlist


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones