So this week has been good but VERY hard. I've come to realise how hard these next two years are actually going to be. I've had kind of a knot in my stomach and been really discouraged this week.
I've had a hard time understanding what the people are saying, and what is said ..... I've been missing home-- it's been tough. It was good to finally get emails and to hear from home :) so thank you all ...keep them coming please.
They really do help.
There was a meeting we had with one of the members were working with who was inactive when we got here but is starting to come back to church... when we went to his apartment we ran into some Jehova Witnesses. That was interesting! They gave us probably the meanest look I've ever gotten since I've been in Russia, all I could do was smile. We got to the top of the stairs and Roman, was standing in his door talking to them and he said something like"...no these are the Elders are from the Church of Jesus Christ".
It was great, we then went in and talked to him he had some questions and Elder Lambson and he spoke for about 45 minutes--straight and with in 3 minutes I was lost. I try to listen to conversations as much as possible to pick up the words that I know and even when I have no idea whats going on I try to pay attention. But during that meeting it was gone, my concentration was shot, and I felt like I was falling asleep.
:( it was SO disappointing.
I felt so bad, in reality I almost just wanted to cry and go home. I asked myself, "JT what the heck are you even doing here? You have no idea how to speak Russian and your never going to understand anything." I was so hopless the rest of that day and through the next couple days, I was kind of moping around and being really a big baby LOL. I felt bad for Elder Lambson having to be my Companion.. then and having to put up with me.
But I continued to do my studies and such and well, I finished the Book of Mormon again and I knelt down and prayed and I asked Heavenly Father what the heck I was doing and if this book really was true and instead of the buring feeling of love I have recieved before it was more like, " DUH, you stupid-fish why are you asking me this? You know why youre here, so quite moping around and get to work."
Since then, things have been alot better I've been trying my best to work hard and to accomplish my purpose here. It's really been improving my spirits. We found a new investigator (we actually have several now) named Oleg, He's a scientist here in Tomsk and he's way smart and he speaks perfect english (score fore me! ha) so we've been teaching him in English and he has been SO excited about the gospel. Our first meeting was kind of get to know him and answer some questions he had about the church and stuff. He said that he's read about the church online and the life style the people of our church have is exactlly what he wants for his family. The next meeting we talked about the Fall--the need for Jesus Christ our Savior and redeemer. We explained to him that all can be made right through Chirst if we follow his conditions. He was bitting at the bit and nearly jumped out of his chair and asked, "What are these conditons?!"It was great I really think that given a little time he will come into the church.
Thats basically been my week in Tomsk! I hope you all have a happy Easter and enjoy Conference. I don't get to watch for another week when it arrives here in Russia! I love you all!
LiveStrong
Elder Eborn
Dad- Thats so cool about camp! I've been actually thinking about it and I might go up to Camp Hunt after I get home for the summer. Kind of depends on what happens with a certain girl ;) who is probably already married... but yeah. That sounds sweet, it'd be so fun to go up and be the water front director or something.
Mom- Don't worry I am fine.. My black jacket has been just perfect and I'll wait until summer sales to by my nice jacket. Elder Lambson is the bomb he's taking care of me and all is well. I have no idea how to speak Russian lol. As for the Pepto..its all good. I am healthy and well. Thats way cool about your new calling! I'm sure that they knew a good thing when they saw it! You'll do awesome :)
Tanner- have fun, play hard, and don't be stupid. I Love ya Bro
Megan- HAPPY BIRTHDAY! I cant believe you're 12! Wowsers, when i get home you'll be 14 can you believe that? I hope youre doing alright and having fun, I LOVE YOU!
Maddie- keep being you! I want to hear about some of your adventures so write me! I love you...you make me smile.
SCOUT- love ya puppy
6 comments:
Thanks for getting this post up so soon for us all. We are always thinking about JT and what he is doing. He is doing exactly what nearly every missionary does in the first few weeks. I remember so well these exact feelings as I began my mission. By the time two and a half years were up I wasn't sure I even wanted to come home. Live is like that. Line upon line precept upon precept. That's just the way things are done. JT will be alright and we have faith that he will catch on quickly. Prayer, his and ours will work wonders as they have som many, many times before.
Love you all and always,
Grandpa Bart
Guess us mom's do know something.
All week I (this mom) had a knot her stomach too... I had a feeling that JT was sad. So even it seems like I lack faith because I need details... I don't care.
I had written him a long email and I am SO glad he got it.
For you visitors of this site, our family has a few qwerks.
The term "Stupid-Fish" is a family joke that basically means stop being a dumb @&* and cowboy up and do what you need to do".
Guess the Lord told JT what his dad would have said. :)
Other qwerks...we look for funny signs and take pictures of them. ... We read signs backwards on family trips!
Hey! That one may help JT with his Russian :) I am going to email him that.
And if you ever see, "you are stinky and don't read good" that is truly a term of endearment.
I guess we need our own handbook LOL!
I think I like your family already! Quirks and all! LOL! Maybe we can meet someday since we have something in common now - children that are members of the "Siberian Battalion!" His letter sounds so familiar. Mindy's first few letters were just like that. She was lost and wondered if she would ever know what was going on around her. Please tell Elder Eborn for me to hang in there. It does take time- but dont give up. One day all of a sudden you will realize that you are understanding more and more. Just keep working hard. This may sound like a long time but at the 6 month mark Mindy was finally feeling more confident with the language. She has been out 9 months now and in her last email she said that she still struggles. So it takes alot of patience and determination. But in those struggles she has found a strength that she has never known before as she has completely given herself over to the Lord.
He will experience growth and he will feel the Lord molding him into the servant that He needs him to be in that great country. I am praying for him!!! In two years you are going to be welcoming home a mighty - russian speaking - servant of the Lord. What an awesome thing to look forward to.
Carol
Rene,
I was glad Flora Lee saw Jason and was able to get this blog address. I haven't been able to read your family blog since JT got his call. My prayers have been with you THOUGH and I quizz Alecia when I talk to her. This mission business is a roller coaster for a mother. I loved your letter to him but good luck with those details. We are on the down hill side of things:) and I don't think Clint answered a single one of my questions from last week! Crazy boys!!!! Happy Easter Nancy
I do Love my Elder..what a amazing nephew I have.Russia is very blessed.
Post a Comment