This week has been pretty interesting for me---Not in a good way. It's been a hard week that has tried my patience. As you know, we got a bunch of new missionaries in last week and they've been great! Also, a new group of native missionaries from Ukraine and Russia arrived. Elder Drasso and I had to give a presentation to them on "Planning" we did as much of it as we could in Russian (which wasn't very much) they told us that we sound very good and that we should be speaking Russian perfectly within a few months in the field. The natives didn't happen to mention to us at the beginning of our presentation that they ALL spoke English. They made us sweat it out... but it was good, I love speaking Russian. We have 100% Speak Your Language (SYL) days throughout the week which rocks!
Danny and I had the chance to sit together and watch a movie after a devotional. He leaves in a week and I'll be all alone here. A lot of friends have already come and a I've still have 3 weeks.
Last Tuesday night, I was getting ready to go do our room checks and make sure everything's alright when I got a knock on my door. It was one of my new Elders. He was standing in my door way with his companion and his suitcases all packed. I asked what was going on and he told me that he had made arrangements and that his parents were on their way to pick him up he was done being a missionary. It broke my heart---I walked him up to the front of the MTC called our Branch President who had no idea what was going on. I waited until his parents arrived. I think that watching that Elder drive off around the corner with his family at 11 oclock at night, was the worst feeling I've had on my mission thus far. I don't think I slept more than an hour that night. I'm sorry mom, But there is no way, that I'm coming home for the next 2 years. Just letting you know, if I have to come home early, it will be in a box! LOL.
This week with the language wasn't the easiest either, I've been working so hard and it feels like the words don't stay with me. We've learned some complex grammar principles that just totally blow my mind and I have no idea how to implement them while I speak. However, I have been speaking alot more Russian which is DA-BOMB. Elder Mueller (Danny) while we watched the movie on Sunday, shared some of the first lesson in each of our languages well we shared the First Vision. It was pretty sweet. ... It sounds a lot more mean in Russian--not gonna lie.
We had a great discussion this Saturday on the Atonement. Not only what we always think, of when we say the Atonement, which is the redeeming power of the atonement. (Which is super amazing in and of itself). I mean, how great is it that we can be cleansed from our sins through the sacrafice of our Savior Jesus Christ. I am eternally greatful for him. We also talked about the enabling power of the Atonement. I found a quote in my Preach My Gospel from my mission prep class that fell out while we were talking about it. It was from Elder Bednar he said, "... through the enabling power of the atonement we can accomplish things that seem impossible." or something like that... I know that with the help of my Savior, I can do things that I could not on my own. I can do hard things through the power of the atonement and I am so greatful for it.
Thank you for my ring mom and dad! Ha I got it right after I sent your email last week---you totally called it mom, it fits perfect! It can't come off my finger without the finger coming off as well. As for stuff that I need before I take off, I won't need a lot maybe a few more sweaters and couple of short sleeve white shirts size. Other than that, I am ready. My camera cord was in my camera box in my room but I'm sure that it's all Meganized by now LOL. It's a sony thats all I know about it lol. Mom don't worry about my passport. they've got it here and I've seen it a few times when I had to go (yes for the 3rd time) RETAKE Visa pictures. Plus I'll be getting a 2nd passport when I get to Russia.
Time is up! Know that I love you all and miss you like crazy!
LIVESTRONG,
Elder Eborn
9 comments:
what a great letter. It is great that he has good and ba days and that he says he is NOT coming home for two years. Those are the missionaries that will really make an impact. We love JT!!
We are very proud of you and the growth you are making. You are going to be a great missionary. Thanks for posting this Rene.
Philip
Next Wednesday, Elder Branson Worthen, will be entering the MTC. He stopped by Jason's office today to say goodbye to Jason. Branson, was very special staff member of Jason's. He was born with a health condition, that potentionally could have held him back from serving. However, he and his family has worked very hard---and has the medical release and will be serving in North Carolina. So JT, will have another friend joining him this week.
Jason say's that over a decade of Camp Staff, hundreds of kids, Branson is one of his best. We wish him the best!
On another note, I am not going to lie---I cried and laughed posting this one today.
For one, seriously? In a box? My kids! I laughed---but, at the same time got a lump in my throat at such a thought. I know that to be true. JT has always had the motto "go big".
I know he can do hard things. I have seen it since he was a little boy.
JT can do hard things and not only that he relishes a challenge. Most importantly he knows where to turn for help. JT was not chosen to go to Siberia it was a soft place to serve. He was called because he was up to the task and with God's help he will not fail.
We sure love him and we love all of you. His time in the MTC is starting to look a little shorter now. JT has a great attitude and will be a great influence on those he works with, missionaries, members and investigators. Thanks for posting this Rene it helps us to feel even more connected with him and you too.
Love you all and always,
Grandpa Bart
He is going to be a great missionary!!!!! He already has love
for the work and the people. He'll
touch many lives and have trials
that will only make him grow in
many ways. That is the way life is.
It is the way we handle the trials
that come our way that proves what
we are made of. Love him lots. Can
you get one of those U shape pillows for him to use to rest his
head while he tries to sleep on the
plane, it will help him not get a
stiff neck. He will be able to take
one on the plane, it will help him. Do you get to see him off?
He will set the example for his
cousins, male or female. We have
a lot to be grateful for. We love
you all and happy to be a part of
this experience. We'll write him.
Love, Grandma Iris
The pillow is great idea----I will send to him in his next package. I am wrapping up on some last minute things he needs.
No, we don't get to see him off at the airport. However, he can us from the airport.
What a stud you are man! I hope my boys grow up with as much mental toughness as you have. I really am proud to call you my cousin. My family really admires everything about you man! Be strong, and be safe! We always say this to eachother when we leave the wire when deployed so when I say this it has a lot of meaning to our family, beacause there is no good luck needed for such amazingly prepared individuals....Good Mission! We love you JT
Hello Sister Eborn,
My name is Carol Gneiting and I have a daughter serving in the Novosibirsk Mission right now. She has been on her mission for almost 8 months, and in Russia since the end of Sept. I saw your comment on Bro and Sister Simmons blog and so I thought that I would write and say Hi. I know what you are going through right now with the thoughts of your son preparing to head to Russia. May I just say that my daughter has absolutely LOVED every minute that she has been in Russia and she LOVES LOVES LOVES the people there. She served right in Novo until about a month ago and now she has been transferred 35 hours by train east of Novo to a town called Irkutsk right next to Lake Baikal. She is growing to love everything there as well. The work is hard in Russia but I feel that the Lord is sending very special young men and women there that can do the work He needs them to do. I hope it is alright if I follow this blog. I have a blog for my daughter as well and you are welcome to check it out at: http://sistergneiting.blogspot.com/. If you have any questions you can email me at mommagneiting@yahoo.com. Good luck to your missionary and may the Lord bless him and your family for his willingness to serve the Lord and the good people of Russia.
Sincerely,
Carol Gneiting
Post a Comment