Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Far Away But Not Forgotten


I have a lot to tell you all so I hope I have enough time to get it all in! I've had a super busy couple of weeks!

Last week as you know Elder Richard G. Scott came here (to Novo) and spoke one night to the members of our mission it was SO cool, we ended up renting out a movie theatre in Novo and have everyone come there and listen to what he had to say. Unfortunately, our investigator, from Tomsk, did not come.

Elder Scott gave this talk about the importance of the Temple and how everyone of us--- full time missionaries need to be looking forward togetting married when we get home, yeah that didn't make me super trunkyor miss a certain someone at all.... Anyway, he opened the floor for any questions and a investigator (we know well) stands up and asks, '' are you going to answer any question..." Right then, Elder Hansen and I look at each other and just go bright red---I was so worried about what was about to come out of his mouth--you have no idea! He asked if Elder Scott had ever heard of the Prophecies of 2012. Everyone kind of laughed and those of us who knew him were red faced. Elder Scott, stood there looked at this individual and said, "as an Apostle of the Lord Jesus Christ, I can tell you the World Will Not End in 2012"  So looks like we've got some more time.

The next day we had a chance to meet with the just the missionaries, it was so cool. He started off by telling us that we are the farthest away mission from SLC, and that we are far away but not forgotten. He then asked for 2 volunteers from those of us wearing nametags ha, The night before he had talked about how when we put ourself on the line we allow the Holy Ghost to work through us. SO Elder Hansen and I both looked at each other as our hands shot into the air.

We ended up teaching a first lesson to the senior couple the McKally's who are from Eagle Idaho (...and yes know Bishop Edwards (ha small world huh).  We taught them, with Elder Scott sitting right next to us listening to every word we said!  I was terrified.

Then I remembered that, I do this like everyday and it shouldn't make a big deal who was sitting next to me. When w/he had finished he asked for some suggestions of how we could improved from the audience and what we did good. I know we have a lot to work I am not the perfect missionary, but when everyone had finished commenting he stood up and said, "these Elders did better than I ever could have imagined, They taught with the Spirit and I could feel it" I was awe. An Apostle of The Church told me that he could feel the Spirit through me.  It was the coolest ever... Then later in the day, he talked to us about the importance of memorizing scriptures, he asked for some more volunteers to recite some scriptures suddenly I realized "hey is my hand in the air again?" and he said yes "Elder Eborn let's hear it....the next thing I knew I was reciting James 1:5 to Elder Scott but not in English in Russian!.  I finished and was just like holy crap idk what has gotten into me today"!

The end of the meeting he made a joke about where we were serving and how hard it is. He said, "you Elders and Sisters are truly out here where the devil  lost his Poncho..." it was such a cool experience I got to shake his handand look into his eyes just a way cool experience for me!

The next day I got to go to Finland!! Crazy to think I've already used an entire Visa and had to go get a new one. We got to stay the night with the senior couple and man, that was probably the best meal I've had since getting to Russia! We need a senior couple here in Tomsk! (wink wink Grandma and Grandpa Eborn)

I flew to Moscow, where I got to eat a Cheeseburger at the TGI Fridays (ah it was heavenly), Farshhamburgers just aren't the same lol. when we got in to Finland and it was so different (everything was clean, there were no cigarette buds on the ground and the air was fresh---it was like a mini vacation well sort of....)  I got to take a hot shower :) take a nap, and go to theTemple.



The Temple in Finland is Beautiful! I can't describe how good it felt to be back in the Temple and to be able to feel that Spirit! It was so great, a recharge..after a day, I started miss the Motherland. (There was no one yelling at me :) jk)  It was good to be there but, it is good to be back in Russia and to get back to work. Elder Hansen left on his Visa trip about an hour ago so I will be with a mini missionary named Sergei he's a member here who is actually from some little island off Japan that is still Russia.

I need your prayers!  

Well I hope all is well with you all, I miss you all like crazy and I love you! Keep on keeping on!

LIVEstrong,
Elder Eborn

Mom & Dad - Sorry I didn't have time to read you're emails this week I printed them off so I can read them and write back next week, I hope all is good and that you had fun in Orlando! I love you thank you for all you do!

Tanner- Dude, you need to watch a couple of movies for me via proxy  (like baptisms for the dead). You can say "I am watching Nacho Libre For and inbalf of Elder Eborn, who is on a mission". So watch for me Hot Rod, Bill and Ted, and just all those great movies for me and laugh on my behalf knowing I wish I was with you!

Elder M (Danny) Dude I was like a few hundred miles from your mission! Love ya big guy, Keep running we got souls out there! Remember we can sleep when we're dead!

Elder Carnahan (Chase!) You are almost/finally in the field huh? That is so sick! You are in a completely different realm of the world than I, and I can't wait to hear about your stories! I love ya man remember, Pray like everything depends on God, then Get up and work like everything depends on you. Thats how miracles happen!! Plus we can sleep when we're dead!

5 comments:

Rene Weston-Eborn said...

I sent him lots of questions so hopefully he will answer next week. He seems like he is doing well. That he still has his sense of humor is a good thing.

I hope his note to Tanner doesn't offend---but, it is seriously funny and so Us. I had to leave it in. This is Elder Eborn's journal, so I do post most things unless they are very private.


I miss my Taterbug but, can see he is doing hard work in a hard place.

Please keep him in your prayers.

Nancy said...

Lots of cool experiences!!! So glad to have an official word that life won't end in 2012:)

Bart said...

I just got home from working two shifts at the Logan Temple. It's been a long and a great day topped off with news from our Elder Eborn in Tomsk, Russia. Thanks for the post. Our life seems torevolve to a large extent around these blogs.

Love you all and always,

Grandpa Bart

Bart said...

I loved the email. He looks great.
I know being in the Temple will
give him a renewal of spirit and
dedication I'm proud he raised his
hand to participate, he will never
regret doing that and will grow
from it. I wish Grandpa and I could
be there to cook his meals and look
after him, but for now we feel the
pull from serving in the Logan Temple and Dad is going strong on
Family History. A ward from South
Jordan wanted to bring a group of
young women to Logan Temple for
baptisms but they needed to bring
their own or someone elses family
cards in order to do the work. They
didn't have any and I was working
next to the clerks office and heard
what was being said, I asked the
clerk if it would be alright if I
supplied the family cards and she
said yes. She told the brother who
called that they found some names
for them to do, how many did they
want, he answered 200, I said I have them, they were so excited. I
took the names to the Temple, Thurs. morning and they arrived by
10:00 a.m. and did the work. The
spirit is so strong in the Temple
and lets us help others. Bart is
truly a wonderful person to do the
work in order to have these cards.
I thank him very much. I encourage
all of you to go to the Temple and
partake of this spirit. I love you
all so much. Thanks JT for being an
example to us all. You do have our
prayers with you.

Love, Grandma Iris

Shana said...

I am so happy for him that he got to take a hot shower!

It is exciting to read his letters. What a great young man. Thanks for posting this.

How Many Check-in on JT

Listen to Mission Playlist


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones