Hello there family! :
How are things going at home? I hope all is well. It sounds like you're all having fun and enjoying the summer. I don't know how much longer it will be warm here, it seems like over night it has become fall and apparently fall does not last very long in Siberia. The temperature has dropped and we've had clouds and rain most days since last week. I am very excited to see what a REAL winter looks like. I am going to buy my winter coat today because all the stores are having sales trying to get rid of all their last year stuff before winter. I was actually walking to the net cafe this morning and I saw a Columbia Store that had all this stuff for like 75% off. I am probably going check that out but, no worries (dad), I am not going to blow a bunch of money I know we don't have. I just don't want to come home a JT popcycle :). I will be smart.
So this week about half of the mission got sent to Finland to get their new visas. Among those that went were nearly half the Elder's here in Omsk. One from every companionship left, so I was with Elder Mayorov all week, He's very cool. He's from St. Petersberg and speaks perfect English however, we spoke in Russian almost the entire time! (Talk about score for me!) after the last four days with him I feel like the last 7.5 months have not been a complete waste! I still have along way to go from where I want to be, but I can speak correctly and I understand most of what's going on :). (Now watch--- because I said that, now the Lord will feel the need to humble me.) .
Anyway, one thing that I've found here are the various types of missionaries, and how they like to work, what helps them be effective, and how they feel successful.
Some missionaries are so focused on teaching lesson's that they forget about the people. They are here to teach a lesson and that's it. When the lesson's over they say "Amen" and are ready to go to their next meeting. Robot missionaries. I've been realizing more and more that the real way to help people come unto Christ and to help them feel of the love that the Savior has for them is by loving them. I personally think letting them know that you care. People here have their very own problems, and their own lives. They aren't just something you want to "get baptized and thats the end". I've kind of adapted one my the slogan's that has been in my life since as long as I can remember and applying it here in the mission field. "Do a Good Turn Daily". I have found that I feel most successful and like I've done what I've been sent here to do when I help someone else feel a little better. I don't know why exactly, it's just how it is. It says in Mosiah 2:17 When you are in the service of your fellow men you are only the Service of your God.
Plus, when you're friends and love the people around you get to make some way funny friends! Like the otherday for instance, I got to go and meet a man whose name translates as "Lion Son of Boris" (even his name is great) but, he opens the door and he is this huge guy and he is super enthusastic about everything. We asked him to say the opening pray for our meeting and he prayed as if he was in an opera! " OH GOD OUR ETERTAL FATHER... " he started out lol and he basically sang the entire prayer, I personally LOVED it. There are just some way funny, diverse, people, and things that happen here in Russia I've decided are great. They have what are called Dacha's---they are these little cottages outside the cities that people go to on weekends in the summer and grow little gardens. (But they are the tool of the devil. because they are the reason sacrament meeting attendence dives in the summers :).
Anyway, all is good here, I am working hard trying to get my area where it needs to be we have a grand total of one investigator. So we are looking for people to teach. My area is a challenge, we have more inactive members in our area than the other two branches (combined). Oh well, though it just means I've got to get to work!
Well family, I love ya. I hope all is well and that you're all doing good. I miss you all like crazy. Hug the brown one for me :) goodness I miss my puppy.
liveSTRONG
Elder Eborn
Mom - I am so happy for Josh and Jenny! They are doing what is right and the Lord will bless them for it. We're all not perfect, and it's important to remember that no matter what, the arm's of our Savior are always open to us, and we can always return to his care. Mom, you've been an example to me all my life. Your experiences and unconditional love really have made a difference for me--- even here.
I love you mommy thanks for everything.
Tell Josh and Jenny Family ... Hello for me and that I love them.
Dad- Hey Pops--no worries, I wiill be smart about how I do things. Sounds like you're kicking butt on the running and stuff. I am super jealous. I am stoked that I'll be able to come home and have to try and keep up with you for a change ;) just kidding I love you Dad, be excellent and party on!
4 comments:
Sometimes I read his letters and I wonder how he got to be so smart and good.
He teaches his mom things everyweek.
It was good to get his email. He is
doing great and has a great attitude.Gotta love him.Thanks for
putting the email on the blog. Love you all.
Love Grandma Iris
Believe me, Rene, there is something to this idea about the choice spirits being kept until the last days, at least a lot of them. JT is one of them as are your other children and it doesn't hurt that they came into your family and have been nurtured by loving parents.
Love you all and always,
Grandpa Bart
What was on the Savior's day planner? The scriptures say: "He went about doing good." That sounds a lot like the Boy Scout Slogan to me. Do a good turn daily. If not one, more than one. The world would be transfored overnight if everyone would adopt this simple slogan.
Post a Comment