Dearest Family/Friends/ and Whoever else reads my letters….
We'll I’m back in Novosibirsk for a few days, actually until tomorrow morning when I fly out of here and go to Helsinki again to pick up my new Visa. Kind of freaked out that this means I will only have 2 more after this... weird. Last week was rather interesting I should probably share.
To begin with I'll let you know that my mission, starting July 1st, will be a little different. They've changed the boundaries and actually decided to add the cities of Irkutsk and Ulan-Ude to the
Russia Vladivostok Mission, along with all the missionaries who are serving in those cities. President Lawrence from the Area Presidency, who is a member of the Quorum Of the 70, came to announce it to the branches, as well as Mission Presidents from both missions.
Elder Stewart and I, had the opportunity to translate for them, I announced to Irkutsk that we would be making the change and Elder Stewart did it in Ulan-Ude. President Lawrence speaks a little Russian, ( a little), and while I was translating for him he thought he'd tease the translator and made everyone laugh a little bit by poking fun at me in Russian ha. Then in the middle of his talk at the end He started using some really big words that for me were hard to understand in English. So finally when he said, "this is what we call Unanimous Consent" I started and then stopped turned to him and asked, “Do you know how to say that?” his eyes got all big, and exclaimed, "No...” I turned back to the congregation and explained what the term Unanimous Consent means in Russian so that it was understandable and then continued on (some things do not directly translate and they way he said it would have not been positive in Russian). After that, he didn't tease his translators ha. I need to repent for teasing a General Authority. It was a very good opportunity and it helped me to grow. I'm comfortable in my language skills but there is a lot of room for improvement and I want to be better so now I've got some things to work for...
It was very sad though, while I was standing up there with President Lawrence, I looked out into the Congregation and saw people who were just crying because of what was happening, it touched my heart. However, it was a great testimony builder to me that the gospel is true.
The Church is worldwide and is always evolving into what the Lord needs it to be, just like us, as people making changes to ourselves to become better people and to become worthy of living in the presence of our Heavenly Father. There is a word in Russian that I love совершенствоваться. It means "To Perfect Oneself". Christ taught us "What manner of men we should be” by saying” Verily I say unto even as I am"- 3 Nephi 27:27 We're here on this earth to learn to become like our Elder brother Jesus Christ. It's not easy, and it's not a quick process, it takes a lot of hard work, humility, repentance, and changing. But eventually we'll get there. Just like the changes to the boundaries of missions in order to help the work progress forward we all need to make the necessary changes to our self in order to become The Sons & Daughters of God that we really are.
Well, I'm actually planning on sending a package of things home to you from Finland this trip, SInce it was my last time probably ever being around Baikal and I purchased a few souvenirs for ya'll so I'll send them home for you this trip :) so yeah! There'll also be some stuff that I've accumulated throughout the last 17 months of my life that you might think are interesting and fun so I will send those home.
Tonight we've got the Kiev Temple President and his wife here in Novo for a Fireside and I think I'm translating so that will be fun. I'll let you know how it goes (ha no worries mom, I'll be reverent ;)
I love you guys! Thanks for everything you do for me! I couldn't do this without your support! Have a great week :)
жив СИЬЛНО
Ст. Иборн!!
Mom & Dad - Thanks for the info mom.
Grandma & Grandpa Eborn - Hey! I haven't seen the Allen’s since they left for Turkey a few weeks ago but I did talk to them on the phone the other day….they seem to be doing well. Whenever we talk they always talk about you both. Thanks for being awesome! I love you.
2 comments:
He sounds really good, a lot of work and changes for him to help
with. I'm sure Elder Lawerence
was very grateful for JT's help.
He has a sense of humor I'm sure.
My nephew from Georgia enters the
MTC this week, I hope he and JT
have a chance to meet each other.
We love him so much and are so
proud of his great attitude and
willingness to do whatever is asked
of him. When he comes home he will
have an adjustment, but he will do
fine. We will be visiting Philip
this weekend, leave Thursday, home
Monday night. Give all our sweet
kids a kiss for us. Love you all.
Love Grandma Iris
The Genral Authority better be careful who he teases. JT will probably pronounce and read the words backwards, like they always do on trips as they read the road signs etc. backwards. He would know what planet he was on, let alone how to speak Russian. It is always so good to hear from and about JT and to feel of his spirit. He is having a great experience and is making the world a better place.
Love our missionary and all of you very much.
Post a Comment