Omsk (Russian: Омск) is a Russian city located in southwestern Siberia and the administrative center of Omsk Oblast. It is Russia's second-largest city east of the Ural Mountains. The distance from Omsk to Moscow is 2,700 kilometres (1,700 mi).
In imperial times, Omsk was the seat of the Governor General of Western Siberia, and later of the Governor General of the Steppes. For a brief period during the Russian Civil War in 1918–1920, it served as the capital of the anti-Bolshevik Russian State and held the imperial gold reserves.
Omsk is the administrative centre of Siberian Cossack Voisko, it also serves as the see of the bishop of Omsk and Tara, as well as the administrative seat of the Imam of Siberia.
Location
Omsk is situated on the banks of the north-flowing Irtysh, at its confluence with the smaller Om River. The city has an altitude of 87 metres (285 ft) above sea level.
Both branches of the Trans-Siberian railway pass through the city, which also serves as a major junction for the regional highway network. River port facilities handle both passengers and freight, giving the city access to the extensive navigable waterways of the Irtysh and Ob rivers. The waterways connect Omsk with the coal and mineral-mining towns in Kazakhstan, as well as with the oil, natural gas and lumber operations of northern Siberia. Omsk is served by the Tsentralny Airport, which offers access to domestic and international (primarily, German and Kazakh) destinations, making the city an important aviation hub for Siberia and the Russian Far East.
5 comments:
Omsk sounds like aninteresting and historic city. It is a large city and I am sure there are many wonderful people there who can benifit from the message JT will share with them. There will also be times which challenge even the best and through these JT will grow as he continues to LIVESTRONG
AND BE FAITHFUL.
I still wake up at night and can't believe my son is in Far East Russia.
Hello, my son is in this mission he has only been there 3 weeks I would love to know if you have found the best way to send him packages. Also how does he get his pictures to you? On computer or sends you his SD card? I also wake up at night and can't believe my son is in Far East Russia !!!
Vickie,
Hi there, I am Rene Eborn, my son is in Russia too! I saw your post on my Elder's blog and wanted to reach out.
Regarding packages, it is best to send them to the mission home as directed. I just use the US Postal System because it seems that FedEx is the best way. I found, if I send them to the mission home they seem to arrive with most of the contents in them.
Also, honestly, it took me almost to the year mark, not to wake up and think...OMGosh my boy is in the Far East.
It will be great to follow your blog.
Rene
It sounds like your son was one that picked up my son when he arrived on June 22. It is just so crazy that I ran onto your blog. I have looked for blogs for this mission for months and just ran onto this today and was thrilled.
Post a Comment