Why Hello there one and all!
Once again writing you from the wonderful section of the world known as Siberia! Same mission just 13 hours away from where I wrote you last week.
I've got some fun stories to tell ya!
So I got on a bus last Wednesday and took of for Novo, I sat next to the old babushka, (thats Russian English for Grandma type lady) and she offered me some apples, these apples, I am pretty sure were from like last year, and I was like no thank you I am not very hungry. Then she said "young man, you will not last the winter if you don't eat this" So being a polite missionary, I took the apple, it was completely rotten, and she then told me to eat it. I said a quick prayer and snarffed it down. It was awful but I didn't get sick or anything, score for me!
She and I talked for about half the ride to Novo, but when we stopped for the halfway break she talked to another older lady and I heard the word "sektanti which is what people that are against the Church call us. My babuska friend didn't talk to me the rest of the way to Novo after that :( .... I kind of felt bad I am here to help.
On to my next part of the story, I got to Novo stayed the night there and the next morning was getting on a train to Omsk, the office Elder's helped me get everything taken care of and well, normally we get a train that has a little cabin type thing, but not this time. I was stuck in the commercial class car, which consisted of 4 bunkbeds in each hallway, and 2 bunkbeds on the side between the aisle, I sat down on my spot and had a bugger of a time finding a place for all my luggage, when you live out of 3 suitcases for 2 years, things get interesting. but I got all situated and Elder nelson who was coming from Irikutsk was there with me. There were 4 people that were across the aisle from us and they were pretty drunk. We started talking to them due to the fact that they wanted to talk to us, and they tried to convince us that we hadn't been in Russia untill we'd had Russian Vodka. We told him "no" about 5 or 6 times before he got upset and told us that we were the rudest americans he'd ever met. He then asked us why we didn't drink and we had a good little conversation with him, and about how if he wanted to he could change is life for the better. Score for missionary work! He ended up just rolling over and falling asleep after.... Elder Nelson and I played monopoly, ate at the dinning car, and wrote some letters for about 9 hours it was way cool.
We were met by the entire zone in Omsk and it was awesome! Getting to know the area will be rough, it is just such a huge area! There are 3 branches, one district, and 8 elders, 2 sisters, and a senior couple. There are alot people here, more than in Tomsk that's for sure.
We had some meetings getting me use to the area, and then Sunday came. I asked Elder Espinoza if I should prepare a talk, and he was all, "nah, don't sweat it they will give you a week or 2 before they ask you to speak. So I didn't sweat it. We got to church Sunday, and the Second Counselor comes right up to me, Elder Eborn, our speakers didn't show up, will you speak for like 15-20 minutes on what ever you want? lol
I was just like, "ahhh yeah, no problem" SO I did, I spoke about Enduring to the End. I gave the analogy of running a marathon and how I felt at the end. It was cool. I had a whole bunch of people come up to me after and try to convince me to run the marathon here in Omsk here in a few weeks. I would totally be down with it! Just gotta get some permission from President! ha jk I'd die!
Elder Espinoza is actually in the Army Reserves, and got a 2 year leave to serve his mission. He has to stay in shape. We've been running every other day, as well as, doing some hardcore Army work outs. Who know's maybe I will come home in better shape than I thought I would!
We were walking home one night and this guy was looking at us weird, so we stopped by to talk to him, and he asked us if we really believed that our message could better people's lives, I said "da". Elder Espinoza said, "HET", Russian for no, we don't believe it, We Know it will". The guy's total attitude changed, instead of trying to argue, he asked how can I know? He has invited us over to his house for dinner tommorrow and wants us to teach him and his family! The power of a Testimony is Great, I know it's the quickest way to invite the Spirit, and it is why I am here.
I have had many experiences that have brought me to this point in my life, but the real thing that got me here, is my testimony. I know God lives, and that he loves us, He gave us his Son to help us get back to him and through his Gospel, which has been restored through a Prophet in our day, we can do that.
I challenge you all to share your testimony! Tell someone what you know, and see what happens.
I love you all. Thanks for the support, pleae keep the letters coming! I'm at nearly 7 months!
liveSTRONG,
Elder Eborn
Mom- Hey mom :) Thanks for the emails, you are awesome! I couldn't do it with out your support.... and way to snatch Garrett off the road with a sat dish lol. You're a hero. That's way cool about what you said though, it's one thing I've noticed here, is how reading your scriptures really does help, we can get so much out of them if we just set some time a side and make it a priority. Love you! :)
Dad- Alright mister.... those pictures were super trunky. I wanna go do a tri SO bad! Way to beat Tanner ha, but you're looking good, looks like you're getting thinner and staying in shape. I can't wait to get home and to do those with my best buds again!! (thats You and Tanner).
3 comments:
We are glad he made it to Omsk OK. I'm sure traveling around in Siberia is an adventure in and of itself. I remember eating some rather disgusting things when I was on my mission too. All in the sporit of being polite. It sounds like JT is having some gtrat experiences and doing what the Lord wants him to do. Thanks, Rene, for helping us keep up to date.
Love you all and always,
Grandpa Bart
That was a really cool letter! I love learning about where he is. Thanks for including that! We pick Clint up tomorrow night! Can't wait!!!!
Nancy, that is so exciting! I think that day (the one where I get to go pick up Elder Eborn at the airport) will be one happy day.
I am happy for you. Enjoy and take LOTS of pictures.
Post a Comment