Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Hard Things Make You Stronger



It's been a long week but a great week. Elder Trunov and I worked very hard and got a lot done. We had the opportunity to meet with our investigators and to help them all come a little bit closer to Christ. It was wonderful to be a part of that and I am very grateful that I had the opportunity to help Henry and Valentina come unto Jesus Christ and be baptized. Agaba is still working towards it but in a few weeks time he'll be ready. Neither of them had church clothing so I gave them both a pair of slacks, white shirts, and ties to come to church in. I'll tell you what, those men looked amazing in white shirts and ties!

They are going to be awesome Priesthood holders here in the near future. It was amazing; they got baptized before church so that they could be confirmed the same day. I had the opportunity to confirm Sister Valentina a member of the church and to give her the gift of the Holy Ghost. What an experience, the two of them had a chance to bear their testimonies after their confirmations and it was amazing to hear their bright burning testimonies. Henry talked about how when he goes home to Uganda he wants to help his family, and all of his friends come to the church. We (Elder Maughan) sent a email to the mission president down in Uganda and are working on having missionaries go and start working with his family. I am so blessed to have been a part to be a part of this great work:) Elder Dearden's (Brock) Mom once said, "A missionary is one who leaves his family for two years to help others be with theirs forever". It really is such a wonderful thing to help people come unto Christ!



Friday morning I received a call from President Trejo, which was weird because he always calls on Friday nights for Transfers. Then when I started talking to him I quickly realized why he'd called so early. I've been asked serve in Novosibirsk as Assistant to the President with Elder Justin Rupper from Johnstown, Pennsylvania.
So Sunday evening after church and after having our little party deal for Henry and Valentina, I got on a night train to Novo and have been learning what it all means to be an AP. I had some reservations about the new assignment, but I know that Heavenly Father's got a plan and that if I give myself to him 100% he'll turn me into the person I need to be. It'll be an adventure that’s for sure.
So now, instead of being over missionaries in one city, my responsibilities include working over all the mission with missionaries and will be traveling all around the mission for the next few months training missionaries and translating for President Trejo. Honestly, my first thoughts were that I must have messed something up pretty bad to have to serve right under President Trejo, for the last few months of his mission, but so far it's been a wonderful opportunity. I've even been able to do some real missionary work which is really where it’s at! I do spend the majority of my time in the office doing whatever it is that President asks me and try to help the missionaries to be the best they can be.

So yeah! I was sad to be leaving Omsk. 9 months in the same city, well you learn to love the people, but this will be a good change and a new chance to learn and to grow. Hard things make you stronger.

This next weekend I'll be going with President and Sister Trejo to Kemerovo for a branch conference, and the next weekend to Novokuznetsk for a Zone Conference. I've also got to prepare and get ready for Zone Leaders Council, and in the end of the month I'll be flying to Ulan-Ude (on the other side of Baikal) so this new calling will have some opportunity to meet people in many cities. Oh, and seeing as how I'm stationed in Novosibirsk, if you have any desire to send me letters, goody packages etc. they'll get to me a lot quicker! (hint) So yeah, that's basically my week in a nutshell. I'm trying to find my way around Novo, trying to learn my duties and do all I can. This morning we had 3 new missionaries come in. and we got to go and meet them at the airport and bring them back to the mission home for breakfast with the Trejo's. It brought back good memories of Elder Drasso, Capps, Septon, and I flying into Novo a year ago. We were dead tired, had no idea where we were, what people were saying and how the heck we were going to help people to learn about the gospel. But we learned… and they will too :) we get to go have orientation with them today around 4 so yeah. :)

Well family, I love ya. thanks for the awesome emails! I love hearing from you all please keep the letters coming! You've only got like 30 some odd weeks of letters so let’s keep em commin!

жив сильно Ст. Иборн!

Mom & Dad - Ha well... I am sorry you can't all go to Havasupai... but maybe next year we could try and go again :) I know I'd love to go... Sounds like you guys are going to have a way fun Spring break :) be safe and as dad always said to me,” don’t jump off anything".

Tanner - Dude, ok. you need to get me a pair of those shoes for when I get home. Alright? Those are way to cool! That's pretty sweet that you're girly friend will be going  with you, I remember getting to have Amber come with us up to Jackson Hole for Lotoja. It's was a  lot of fun --treat her good.

Megan - who said you could grow up and become a teenager already? eмоё! ёлки палки! если мне нада убить кого то я смогу! с днём рождения сестра моя!

Maddie- Love ya sis :) thanks for the email, take my puppy on a walk alright?

8 comments:

Jason said...

So Proud of my son. I remember being so overwhelmed with the thought of being the AP when I was in Hong Kong. Such a great growing experience. He will do great!

Alison Daugs said...

He WLL do great! He already is! Proud of that boy! and Love him!

Bart said...

The circles of his love are growing larger and larger. He is a humble, loving servant of his Father in Heaven and he will continue to affect the lives of many for good. The Lord loves JT and he loves all the missionaries, who so unselfishly serve Him and their fellow men, and he loves us all more than any of us can fully understand.

Love you all and always,

Grandpa Bart

Stan said...

I do Love that missionary!what great experiences he has shared with us.:)

Bart said...

He certainly is setting a standard
for all of us. He will do well in
all he does. You can tell he loves
being a missionary and he will
carry that feeeling throughout his
life when he returns home. I love
his big smile and bright eyes, they
show his love and happiness in the
work heis doing. Sure love my
first grandchild, he has always had
a special place in my heart from the time he was born. I guess the
first grandchild has a special
meaning in our lives. 24 grandchildren and so many special
places in my heart. Thanks for the
e-mail and the story, takes me back
to my missionaries, I remember
Justin came home with holes in the
soles of his shoes. At first I was
upset that he didn't tell us he
needed new shoes but then I knew he
thought maybe with 3 missionaries
overlapping each other we might not
be able to send him the money, but
we would have, nothing would stop
us providing for our missionaries.
We love all our children so much
and are so thankful for them and
their examples to us.

Love Grandma Iris

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the e-mail and story.
He is doing so well and you can tell he is happy in what he is doing. He will do well in his new calling and help other missionaries
in their calling. Love our
missionary.

Love Grandma Iris

meegz said...

Not a shocker...:) I dreamed the other night that he was AP -- yeah, I'm totally receiving revelation for the NOVO mission president.:) I'd better stop my sarcasm before I'm struck -- but I really did dream it.

We are very proud of JT...Personally I"d love a few stories about how you helped his awesome spirit to grow and mature. A little help here.....

Love you JT!!!

Anonymous said...

How wonderful. He will continue to grow and mature as he helps not only the people of Novo but the other missionaries as well.
Flora Lee

How Many Check-in on JT

Listen to Mission Playlist


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones