Monday, August 22, 2011

Your Personal Sacred Grove

Dear Family!
Sounds like you guys had an awesome weekend! The pictures of Camp look way amazing ...I'm thinking that I may look working next summer there, if I can convince a few good people to come up and work with me.

It sounds like a you had a great time. Way cool that you got to meet Todd, he's a great kid. Way to make me tear up Megan! The whole comment about my life jacket made me realize how much I really miss you guys. I love you guys that's for sure.

I'm here in Omck right now, it's been quite the week running around Siberia with the Gibbons. We've had a lot of really funny experiences with them. Eating Shaurma, joking with Sister Gibbons, and as much missionary work in as possible.

Things have gone well.... We traveled from Krasnoyarsk - Barnual - Tomck - Omck all in this last week. I think I may have finally learned how to sleep on a train though...it's been fine. We've been working on restructuring the mission. There are a lot of things that we're going to be doing that may differ than what been done in the past. But as mom Mom said in her email, "the only thing that is constant in life, is Change" and as President Trejo use to say, "if you always do what you always did, you'll always get what, what you always got". So, I'm really looking forward to what's going to happen.  I'm going to definitely be having an adventure the last 3 months of my mission that's for certain.  Love it!

I haven't had a lot of time to do a lot this last week, we've been working the majority of the time trying to make sure the Gibbons don't get lost as we get around the mission (kidding). But, I have had time to sit and to think. As a missionary you're with your companion 24/7 not a lot of alone time. So you learn how to be alone with your thoughts, and to kind of shut out the world and find what President Gibbons calls "your personal sacred grove". So while traveling from Barnaul after stopping and taking pictures I had a lot of thoughts going through my mind. It's very interesting how the Lord can communicate with us when we put ourselves in those kind of situations. We've got a lot of things that compete for our attention in life and we kind of put the Lord on the back burner.  However, when we can put everything that kind of messes with us aside even if it's just while your driving in the car and spend a little one on one time with the Lord. You really learn who you are and a lot more about what the most important thing is for us to do. He really does know each of us individually and he knows exactly what we need and give us what we need. And some times it's not what we want, but it's always what we need.

The Gibbons are doing well and are getting use to the mission and to Russia. They're learning what's going on and they're having a lot of fun. Amazing people.  I've only had to translate for President Gibbons maybe twice and it was for sacrament meeting talks. His Russian is good, by the end of their mission he'll be better off than most of the regular missionaries. It's kind of interesting having been an assistant for three Mission Presidents. I've learned so much from each of them.

Our investigators are doing well, he is going to the youth conference this week, we're hoping and praying that he'll come back with great spiritual experience. He's been living for all the commandments and is reading the scriptures daily and praying. It's like he's a camp fire that has been kindled very well, and dosed with gasoline. We're just waiting for Heavenly Father to drop the match on him! We found another new investigator this week while were in Novo who hopefully start progressing very well.

So that's about it for me this week! I'm taking the Gibbons the the Market today to find them some winter clothes. This could be very interesting experience! We're here in Omck and it's been kind of bittersweet, I think this may be the last time that I come to Omck. however, whatever the Lord has in store, I'll do what he asks. Like Nephi says, " he always provides away"

Sometimes he just makes us take a few steps in the dark before he shows us what we need to do.

I hope you all have a great time with school starting and such --one adventure ends and another begins! I love you all, Have fun be safe, You're always in my prayers.

liveSTRONG
Elder Eborn

Mom & Dad - There's a note in the box I sent with some treats so enjoy!



4 comments:

Bart said...

No one needs to tell me why I love Elder Eborn. What a great young man/missionary.

Love you all and always,

Grnadpa Bart

DeAnn said...

Rene:
I love reading your son's letters. He is just such an amazing missionary/person. Even though our son has been in Novosibirsk (Novokuznetsk) for two months now, I still get so much information about what is going on from your son's letters. It is so good to be able to 'have another witness!' I will really miss reading these come December. Thanks again for your help before we sent our own Siberian missionary out.
You can tell you have an incredible family.
Thank you--
DeAnn Hoggan

meegz said...

DeAnn is right -- you are an incredible family!

Just wanted to let you know sometimes we "turn on" JT's blog just to feel up lifted by the music -- thanks!:)

meegz said...

PS again -- you know me, always too much to say:) two things:

1. We have a new Elder in our ward, he's from Russia. I guess he's in a different mission but he says his town in quite near Novo. Interesting, I thought. BTW, he is VERY tall and broad. :)

2. My friend Darcy's SIL (not sure if that is DeAnn or not) got a note from her son (an Elder who is in Novo now) that said something like "...and Mom, Elder Eborn is just as great as his letters show -- so it's okay if you have a crush on him" :) I thought it was cute -- we ALL love JT!:)

How Many Check-in on JT

Listen to Mission Playlist


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones